Unit 1 | Session 1
Session length and engagement with your online classmates depends on YOU, so proceed to the next session whenever you’re ready. Remember that your peers await your contributions. Help them learn with you and from you!
First, introduce yourself to your Forum group in a 30 second Flipgrid video. (Click HERE for a quick tutorial how to use Flipgrid.com. ) Tell your new classmates where you’re from, where you currently live and study, and what is your favourite tech gadget.
Watch a classmate’s introduction and post a 10-15 second response, saying, for example “Nice to meet you.” or commenting on their favorite gadget. PASSWORD: Speak2Learn
FORUM GROUP 1 Write code or click bb05f7c3
FORUM GROUP 2 Write code or click bf937811
FORUM GROUP 3 Write code or click 728897ce
Session 1 PART 1: : A list of articles to choose from. Your teacher may assign them to you or you may choose on your own. You will post an opinion in Session 1 Part 2.
- How does constant innovation in technology affect our lives? ToK link — Economics, Business & Management
- While pondering the question, read at least 2 articles from the playlist below. Examine the publication date and the source (e.g. who is writing? why? how reliable is this source?). Consider how fast tech innovation proceeds.
- 10 new innovations that could change the world (Brookings.edu, published June 2014)
- 8 innovative technologies that are changing the world (tech.co, published April 2016)
- Innovative technology that changed the world (schooledbyscience.com, published June 2017)
- 10 tech innovations that will shortly change the world (pocketlint.com, published August 2017)
- 4 technology trends that will transform our world in 2018 (fortune.com, published December 2017)
- Technology innovation has changed the world(cbj.ca, published May 2018)
- 2019 Top innovations (the-scientist.com, published Dec 1, 2019) Challenging science!
- 10 game-changing tech innovations for 2020 (creativebloq.com, published Jan 21, 2020)
Session 1 PART 2 FORUM:
Based on the reading, post your opinion in a response to the question How does constant innovation in technology affect our lives?
Remember to clearly mention the article to which you’re referring.
Later, return to the FORUM to read what your classmates think. Also, reply to 1-2 posts on articles you haven’t read.
Your teacher may ask you to read more than 2 articles from the playlist above.
Your teacher may ask you to identify the particular features of several text types: feature article, op-ed, professional blog, personal blog, report, set of instructions, review.
What combinations of elements are used in the playlist articles? Which layout is most effective and why? Which graphics are most effective to convey the intended message and why?
Your teacher may ask you to examine the language used in the articles, for example tone or register, and the intended audience. How would you adapt the tone and register for a younger audience?